About this software
Clawpack stands for “Conservation Laws Package” and was initially developed for linear and nonlinear hyperbolic systems of conservation laws, with a focus on implementing high-resolution Godunov type methods using limiters in a general framework applicable to many applications. These finite volume methods require a “Riemann solver” to resolve the jump discontinuity at the interface between two grid cells into waves propagating into the neighboring cells.
Adaptive mesh refinement is included, see AMRClaw.
Recent extensions allow the solution of hyperbolic problems that are not in conservation form. We are actively working on extensions to parabolic equations as well.
The “wave propagation” algorithms implemented in Clawpack are discribed in detail in the book Finite Volume Methods for Hyperbolic Problems Virtually all of the figures in this book were generated using Clawpack and the source code for each can be found in $CLAW/book See Examples from the book FVMHP for a list of available examples with pointers to the codes and resulting plots.
See the Bibliography for some pointers to papers describing Clawpack and the algorithms used in more detail.
A bibliography of older papers using Clawpack can be found here. This is out of date!
Clawpack is distributed under the terms of the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) license.
The licence is in the file $CLAW/LICENSE.txt and reprinted below.
See http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php for more details.
Copyright (c) 1994–2010, Randall J. LeVeque and others. All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the University of Washington nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Development of this software has been supported in part by
- NSF Grants DMS-8657319, DMS-9204329, DMS-9303404, DMS-9505021, DMS-96226645, DMS-9803442, DMS-0106511, CMS-0245206, DMS-0609661, DMS-0914942
- DOE Grants DE-FG06-93ER25181, DE-FG03-96ER25292, DE-FG02-88ER25053, DE-FG02-92ER25139, DE-FG03-00ER2592, DE-FC02-01ER25474
- AFOSR grant F49620-94-0132,
- NIH grant 5R01AR53652-2,
- ONR grant N00014-09-1-0649
- The Norwegian Research Council (NFR) through the program no. 101039/420.
- The Scientific Computing Division at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR).
- The Boeing Professorship and the Founders Term Professorship in the Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Washington.
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of these agencies.
Citing this work
If you use Clawpack in publications, please cite the following....
R. J. LeVeque, M. J. Berger, et. al., Clawpack Software
Please also cite one of the following regarding the algorithms used in Clawpack: